Saturday, August 9th: Team Vardo 3, 7 & 15 Mile Vardo Group Runs; Valentina Salotti is the routemaster; Info is below…
Also on Saturday, August 9th: Sweet Corn Days 5K (Adel); Info is below…
Also on Sunday, August 10th: Bluff Creek Triathlon (Don Williams Lake, Ogden); Info is below…
Saturday Morning Team Vardo Group Run
From Valentina Salotti
“Mark and I created some “Back to School!” themed routes ? or ? depending on how you feel about it. All routes start from my house 2222 Storm Street at 7:00AM”
3 Miles – ISU Loop
From Storm Street, head north on Lynn, cross Lincoln Way to Morrill Road and Union Drive. Take Union Drive east (right) to Wallace, turn left (west) on Osborn, proceed to Bissell Road. Go south on Bissell road to Union Drive, take a left onto Sheldon Ave. Keep south on Sheldon. Cross Lincoln Way, take Sheldon to Knapp, east to Welch Ave, all the way south to Storm and back home and finish your homework.
7 Miles – ISU & Middle School Loop
From Storm Street, head north on Lynn, cross Lincoln Way to Morrill Road and Union Drive. Take Union Drive east (right) to Wallace, turn left (west) on Osborn, proceed to Bissell Road. Go south on Bissell Road to Union Drive, take a left onto Sheldon Ave. Keep south on
Sheldon to Recreation drive. Take the cross country course to State.
Cross State and take the path behind the Middle School to Mortensen.
Turn Left (east) on Mortensen. Take Mortensen to Beach. Head north on Beach and turn left on Cessna/Country Club Blvd to Ash, turn right and left on Storm to get back home for your after-school snack.
15 Miles – ISU – Middle School – High School Loop
From Storm Street, head north on Lynn, cross Lincoln Way to Morrill Road and Union Drive. Take Union Drive east (right) to Wallace, turn left (west) on Osborn, proceed to Bissell Road. Go south on Bissell road to Union Drive, take a left onto Sheldon Ave. Keep south on Sheldon to Recreation drive. Take the cross country course to State.
Cross State and take the path behind the Middle School to Mortensen.
Turn Left (east) on Mortensen. Take Mortensen to University and University to 4th. Enter Stuart Smith Park to Brookside Park to 13th street. Cross 13th and take the path behind the Furman Center. Keep right to Ames High. Take 16th all the way to Duff. Turn south on Duff to Main Street. Take Main Street to Grand. Go south on Grand and cross Lincoln Way. Take the trail behind HyVee (Worrell Creek) to 16th. Take 16th to University, University to Mortensen, Mortensen to Ash. Take a right on Ash and a left on Storm Street to get back home and get purtyed up for the prom.
1. The south end of the “DOT Trail” will be closed between S. 16th Street and Airport Road beginning Monday, August 11th to continue electrical conduit work near the Vet Med Complex. The closure will last one week.
2. Next Tuesday’s 5:30 PM group run may or may not start from its normal City Hall Gym location, as the gym and locker/bathrooms will be getting all cleaned and rebuffed. If the meeting location changes, George or I will let you know ahead of time.
Captain Midnight’s 5K Run/Walk for Cystic Fibrosis
From Jeff Margrett
Captain Midnight’s 8th Annual Run for CF is 7:00 PM Friday, August 29th at the west side of the JC Penney Store.
Captain Midnight’s Run for CF couldn’t succeed without great volunteers. With the way the race has grown we are trying something new this year to help organize the volunteers. If you would like to help, please visit the site below and choose where you would like to help. If you have any issues with the site, please let me know and I’ll put you on the list. If you want to volunteer “old school,” just e-mail me that you are interested.
Thank you all so much!
Run for Blood 5K Run/Walk
From Kate Bishop
8:00 AM Saturday, August 2, 2014
LifeServe Blood Center
431 E. Locust St.
Des Moines, IA 50309
The course begins and ends in the LifeServe parking lot and travels through the East Village, around the State Capitol Complex, and across the Center Street Bridge. All competitors have the option of using the computerized timing system with a shoe chip.
Entry fee before July 11: Adults $30; Children 12 and under $20
Entry fee after July 11: Adults $35; Children $25
All athletes receive a t-shirt with registration. Awards will be handed out to the overall male and female winner as well as age group winners.
Lincoln Highway Dash, Friday Night, August 22nd
From Brett Barker
Attached is the registration form for this year’s Lincoln Highway Dash on Friday night, August 22. The Dash is in conjunction with Lincoln Highway Days and will include a children’s fun run, 1 mile walk, and 5K. New for this year is the “glow run” theme and it should be fun for the whole family. Registration is also available online: http://www.active.com/nevada-ia/running/races/lincoln-highway-dash-2014?int=. Feel free to contact me with any questions: Brett Barker (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Brett H. Barker, Pharm.D.
Vice President of Operations
(641) 366-3440 or (309) 945-2110 (cell)
Walk for Wellness, Race for Recovery 5K
From Sally Carnes
WHAT: 2nd Annual “Walk for Wellness, Race for Recovery” 5K run/walk
WHERE: Ada Hayden Heritage Park, 5205 Grand Avenue, Ames, IA
WHEN: Saturday, September 20, 2014; Check-in between 8:00-8:45 AM, Race begins at 9:00 AM
WHY: To join the National Recovery Month effort to raise awareness that behavioral health is essential to overall health, that
prevention works, treatment is effective, and people can and do recover
WHO: Everyone is welcome—all ages and abilities. Join us in celebrating wellness and recovery!
HOW: A 5K run/walk will be held, with healthy snacks and a variety of family-friendly activities following the race (including Spin Art,
chair massages, giveaway bags, and behavioral health resources). Event registration is only $10 and includes a t-shirt, snacks, and
For an event flyer, go to: http://www.cfrhelps.org/assets/recovery-month_ames-2014-flyer.pdf For a registration form, go to: http://www.cfrhelps.org/assets/race-registration-form-2014.pdf. Finally, for general information about Community and Family Resources, feel free to visit www.cfrhelps.org. Thank you for your support!
Senior Executive Assistant
Community & Family Resources
1619 South High Avenue, Ames, IA 50010
726 S. 17th St., Fort Dodge, IA 50501
Phone: 515-232-3206 x1217
www.cfrhelps.org | facebook.com/cfrhelps | twitter.com/cfrhelps
Semi-organized group runs during the next week:
Feel free to shortcut any of these routes if they’re longer than you feel like running!
• Friday, August 8th @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
• Saturday, August 9th @ 7:00 AM: 3, 7 & 15 Mile Team Vardo group runs; Valentina Salotti is the routemaster; Info is above…
• Monday, August 11th @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
• Tuesday, August 12th @ 5:30 PM: 4 & 8 mile Vardo group runs; Kim Abbey Pontius is the routemaster; Stay tuned for the meeting location.
• Wednesday, August 13th @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
• Thursday, August 14th @ 5:30 PM: 3-5 mile group run; Ada Hayden Park, North Shelter
• Friday, August 15th @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
Red print denotes regularly-scheduled weekly events.
Check out www.teamvardo.com for suggested daily workouts.
Ames Area Runnin’, Swimmin’ & Bikin’ Stuff thru September:
• Saturday, August 9th @ 8:00 AM: Sweet Corn Days 5K (Adel); http://adelsweetcorn5k.com/
• Sunday, August 10th @ 8:00 AM: Bluff Creek Triathlon (Don Williams Lake, Ogden); Sprint & Olympic Distances; http://bluffcreektri.com/travelandlodge.php
• Saturday, August 16th @ 6:30 AM: Storm Lake Triathlon (Storm Lake); Swim 800M/Bike 12.63 mi/Run 5K; http://www.active.com/storm-lake-ia/triathlon/races/hynoon-kiwanis-storm-the-lake-triathlon-2014
• Saturday, August 16th @ 8:00 AM: Ankeny Y 8K & 5K Runs (Ankeny YMCA); 1M Run & Kids Runs begin at 9:00; http://www.dmymca.org/en/locations/ankeny_family_ymca/
• Sunday, August 17th @ 7:30 AM: Pigman Triathlon (Palo, IA); Long Course http://pigmantri.com/races/pigman-long-and-olympic/long-course/; Olympic Course http://pigmantri.com/races/pigman-long-and-olympic/olympic/
• Sunday, August 17th @ 8:00 AM: Have a Heart 5K Run/Walk (Raccoon River Park, WDM); https://secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=11173
• Friday, August 22nd @ 8:00 PM: Lincoln Highway Dash 5K Run & 1M Walk (Nevada City Hall); Kids runs @ 7:30; http://www.active.com/nevada-ia/running/races/lincoln-highway-dash-2014?int=
• Saturday, August 23rd @ 7:30 AM: Prairie Festival 10K & 5K (Centennial Park, Huxley); http://huxleyprairiefest.com/documents/pfest_5k-10k_registration_2014.pdf
• Saturday, August 23rd @ 8:00 AM: Run for Your Life 10K & 5K Runs and 2M Fun Run/Walk (Waterworks Park, Des Moines); http://www.iowaheartfoundation.org/Events.aspx#ev11
• Friday, August 29th @ 7:00 PM: Captain Midnight’s 5K Run for Cystic Fibrosis (North Grand Mall/Penney’s west lot); http://www.captainsrunames.org/
• Saturday, August 30th @ 7:30 AM: Madrid Milers Labor Day 15M, 5M & 2M Runs (Madrid); No link yet
• Saturday, August 30th @ 8:00 AM: HyVee IronKids Triathlon Championships (Gray’s Lake, Des Moines); http://www.hyveekidsfit.com/triathlons/hy-vee-kids-triathlon-championship/
• Sunday, August 31st: HyVee Triathlon and US Triathlon Championships (Des Moines); Various start times beginning at 6:46 AM; http://www.hy-veetriathlon.com/
• Friday, September 5th @ 6:00 PM: Run DMU 5K Run/Walk (Des Moines University); https://www.dmu.edu/event/run-dmu/
• Saturday, September 6th @ 7:00 AM: Pufferbilly Days 5K & 10K (Boone YMCA); Link not functioning.
• Saturday, September 6th @ 7:30 AM: Park to Park Half Marathon (George Wyth State Park, Waterloo); http://www.trekmanracing.com/park-to-park-half.html
• Saturday, September 6th @ 7:40 AM: Park to Park 5K Run/Walk (George Wyth State Park, Waterloo); http://www.trekmanracing.com/park-to-park-half.html
• Saturday, September 6th @ 8:00 AM: Maffitt Lake 5M & 10M Run (Maffitt Reservoir, West Des Moines); http://www.capitalstriders.org/maffitt-lake
• Sunday, September 7th @ 7:30 AM: Great Ames Adventure Race – GAAR (Ada Hayden Park, Ames); Canoe/kayak 3 miles, Bike 15 miles, Run 5k; http://www.greatamesadventurerace.org/
• Thursday/Friday, September 11th & 12th: Rival Game Relay Race – Ames to Iowa City; http://www.rivalgamerelay.com/
• Saturday, September 20th @ 9:00 AM: Walk for Wellness, Race for Recovery 5K (Ada Hayden Park); http://www.cfrhelps.org/assets/race-registration-form-2014.pdf
• Saturday, September 20th @ 10:00 AM: Beaverdale Beaverdash 5K & 1M (Beaverdale); http://www.fsma.org/Fundraising/EventsCalendar/index.cfm?id=8451&eventRedirect=1&type=1154
• Saturday, September 20th @ 10:00 AM: Pi Mile Run 5K (Brookside Park, Ames); Benefits Special Olympics; http://iowaalpha.tbp.org/pi-mile-run/
• Saturday, September 20th @ 10:00 AM: Step Out Against Diabetes 5K & 1M Run/Walk/Bike (Principal Park, Des Moines); http://stepout.diabetes.org/site/TR?fr_id=9875&pg=entry
• Saturday, September 20th @ 4:00 PM: Rock ‘n Run 5K for Metro Arts (Clive Aquatic Center); http://www.metroarts.org/programs/rock-n-run/
• Sunday, September 21st @ 6:00 AM: Omaha Arts on the Green Marathon, M Relay, Half Marathon & 5K (Omaha); http://omahamarathon.com/
• Sunday, September 21st @ 8:00 AM: Capitol Pursuit 10K Run & 5K Run/Walk (Des Moines); http://www.capitalstriders.org/capital-pursuit
• Sunday, September 21st: CyMan Triathlon (Lake Petocka, Bondurant; Olympic and Sprint Distances; http://www.active.com/bondurant-ia/triathlon/races/cyman-triathlon-2014?int=
• Sunday, September 21st @ 10:00 AM: Flapjack Race to Change Childhood Cancer 10K & 5K (Waterworks Park, Des Moines); http://www.childrenscancerconnection.org/flapjack-5k10k/
• Saturday, September 27th @ 8:00 AM: Oktemberfest 5K & 10K (Marshalltown); http://www.oktemberfest.com/saturday/5k-10k-walk-run
• Sunday, September 28th @ 7:30 AM: Quad Cities Marathon, Relay, Half Marathon, 5K & 1M (Moline); http://qcmarathon.org/
• Sunday, September 28th @ 10:00 AM: Remembrance Run 5K (Raccoon River Park, West Des Moines); http://iowaremembrancerun.com/