Saturday, August 16th: Team Vardo 4, 8 & 16 Mile Group Runs; Two routemasters… Two locations… Confused?; Info is below…
Also on Saturday, August 16th: Storm Lake Triathlon (Storm Lake); Ankeny Y 8K & 5K Runs (Ankeny YMCA); Fat Tire Series Bike Ride (Founder’s Irish Pub in Bondurant); Info is below…
Also on Sunday, August 17th: Pigman Triathlon (Palo, IA); Have a Heart 5K Run/Walk (Raccoon River Park, WDM); Info is below…
Two Saturday Morning Group Runs
4, 8 & 16 mile runs are called for on the Vardo calendar. Mary the Gentle Gardener was the scheduled routemaster until Jonathan Wendel proposed a multiple-start time, multi-distance group run on the Heart of Iowa Trail, beginning at the Slater Trailhead in Slater, to be followed by grub at the trailhead shelter. Mary was agreeable. Then… Jolene Malone (who is short on time Saturday) offered up an in-Ames run for those who don’t have time available to run from Slater. Here’s the specifics on both:
Group Run from Slater
From Jonathan Wendel
How about a nice, friendly, soft long run this coming Saturday morning? How aboutbringing something to share afterwards to refuel and to celebrate summer?
everal of us think that this is a pleasant idea, and toward that end we are planning aSaturday a.m. run. Details follow:
• Day, Location: Saturday, starting from the picnic shelter in Slater at the end of the Heart of Iowa Trail. For those of you who don’t know where this is, just head south from Ames on R38 (S. Dakota); the shelter and small parking lot will be on your left just as you enter Slater
• How far: As long or as short as you like! The idea is to have everyone FINISH at about 9:30 a.m. Those of us who are running to Cambridge and back (circa 17 miles), will allow 3 hours for this, departing at 6:30. If you wish to run just to Huxley and back (8 miles), you might wish to plan accordingly and start at about 8:00. If you wish to run 20+ miles, just start earlier! Again, the idea is to finish within 30 minutes or so of each other.
• Who is invited: Everyone! Runners, joggers, walkers, speedsters, Old Farts like me…. *Vardo’s*, please join in the fun.
• What to bring: there is water in Slater, Huxley, and at the store in Cambridge. You might wish to bring a few bucks for the store, in case you want to buy a Gatorade, for example. The distances between the water stops are 4 -4.5 miles, so if we don’t have water drops, you might wish to bring a hand-held. The brunch afterwards has no theme – just bring anything nutritious…. or not..
• RSVP? Yes, if positive, so we have a headcount. If you like, please let me know the time you intend to start, and I will keep a master list to send out this Fridayafternoon.
• Hills (aka Training Opportunities): sorry… none…
• Water drops: if you wish to volunteer to do a water drop, let me know; good locations are half-way between Slater and Huxley, and halfway between Huxley and Cambridge, at the trail crossings
Ok, I likely am forgetting something, but I can’t think of what it is..… I hope you can make it! email@example.com
Editor’s Note: A group running 17 miles is leaving the Slater trailhead parking lot on the north side of the school at 6:30 AM; Kim Abbey and Natalie Welter are planning a ten-mile run, leaving the lot at 7:30 AM.
In-Ames Group Run
From Jolene Malone
If anyone has time constraints with the drive to Slater… I will be running at 7:00 AM from my place at 2116 Country Club Blvd. Route from there: East on Cessna to Beach; South on Beach to Mortensen; East to University Blvd.; North on University Blvd to S 16th; East on S 16th to the DOT Trail; North on trail to S Fourth St; West on S Fourth just past O’Neill Park to Maple Ave.; North on Maple to S Third (Water fountain on west side of O’Neill Park); West on S Third one block to Hazel; South on Hazel to the trail on north side of S Fourth (This gets you around the trail reconstruction); West on the trail across the footbridge to the Squaw Creek Trail; North on the Squaw Creek Trail to Sixth Street and continue through Brookside Park to 13th Street; West on 13th to Haber Rd.; Go south a block on Haber and cut through Hawthorne Court to the pedestrian underpass and go under the UPRR to University Blvd; Take University Blvd east and south to S Fourth St; West on S Fourth/Cessna back to the start.
Mileage: 7.5 miles. Here’s the route map: http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=548142 See you at 7:00!
Captain Midnight’s 5K Run/Walk for Cystic Fibrosis
From Jeff Margrett
It’s not too late to volunteer or sign up to run Captain Midnight’s 5K Run/Walk for Cystic Fibrosis. The 8th Annual Run for CF is 7:00 PM Friday, August 29th at the west side of the JC Penney Store.
Captain Midnight’s Run for CF couldn’t succeed without great volunteers. With the way the race has grown we are trying something new this year to help organize the volunteers. If you would like to help, please visit the site below and choose where you would like to help. If you have any issues with the site, please let me know and I’ll put you on the list. If you want to volunteer “old school,” just e-mail me that you are interested. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080f49a9ad2c7-captain Thank you all so much! Jeff Margrett firstname.lastname@example.org
Lincoln Highway Dash, Friday Night, August 22nd
From Brett Barker
Attached is the registration form for this year’s Lincoln Highway Dash on Friday night,August 22. The Dash is in conjunction with Lincoln Highway Days and will include a children’s fun run, 1 mile walk, and 5K. New for this year is the “glow run” theme and it should be fun for the whole family. Registration is also available online: http://www.active.com/nevada-ia/running/races/lincoln-highway-dash-2014?int=. Feel free to contact me with any questions: Brett Barker (email@example.com).
Brett H. Barker, Pharm.D.
Vice President of Operations
Walk for Wellness, Race for Recovery 5K
From Sally Carnes
WHAT: 2nd Annual “Walk for Wellness, Race for Recovery” 5K run/walk
WHERE: Ada Hayden Heritage Park, 5205 Grand Avenue, Ames, IA
WHEN: Saturday, September 20, 2014; Check-in between 8:00-8:45 AM, Race begins at 9:00 AM
WHY: To join the National Recovery Month effort to raise awareness that behavioral health is essential to overall health, that
prevention works, treatment is effective, and people can and do recover
WHO: Everyone is welcome—all ages and abilities. Join us in celebrating wellness and recovery!
HOW: A 5K run/walk will be held, with healthy snacks and a variety of family-friendly activities following the race (including Spin Art,
chair massages, giveaway bags, and behavioral health resources). Event registration is only $10 and includes a t-shirt, snacks, and
For an event flyer, go to: http://www.cfrhelps.org/assets/recovery-month_ames-2014-flyer.pdf For a registration form, go to: http://www.cfrhelps.org/assets/race-registration-form-2014.pdf. Finally, for general information about Community and Family Resources, feel free to visit www.cfrhelps.org. Thank you for your support!
Senior Executive Assistant
Community & Family Resources
1619 South High Avenue, Ames, IA 50010
726 S. 17th St., Fort Dodge, IA 50501
Phone: 515-232-3206 x1217
Semi-organized group runs during the next week:
Feel free to shortcut any of these routes if they’re longer than you feel like running!
- Friday, August 15th @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
- Saturday, August 16th @ various times: 4, 8 & 16 Mile Team Vardo group runs; Multiple routemasters; Info is above…
- Monday, August 18th @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
- Tuesday, August 19th @ 5:30 PM: 5 & 8 mile Vardo group runs; Heather Greenleeis the routemaster; Stay tuned for the meeting location.
- Wednesday, August 20th @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
- Thursday, August 21st @ 5:30 PM: 3-5 mile group run; Ada Hayden Park, North Shelter
- Friday, August 22nd @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
Red print denotes regularly-scheduled weekly events.
Check out www.teamvardo.com for suggested daily workouts.