Ames Runnin’ Stuff This Weekend
There’s something nearby for everyone this weekend!
Saturday, September 20th Group Run: Team Vardo 5, 8 & 16 Mile Group Runs; Chris Feil is the routemaster; Info is coming…
Also on Saturday, September 20th: Walk for Wellness, Race for Recovery 5K (Ada Hayden Park); Step Out Walk to Stop Diabetes (Principal Park, Des Moines); Beaverdale Beaverdash 5K & 1M (Beaverdale); Pi Mile Run 5K(Brookside Park, Ames); Rock ‘n Run 5K for Metro Arts (Clive Aquatic Center); Info is below…
Also on Sunday, September 21st: Capitol Pursuit 10K Run & 5K Run/Walk (Des Moines); CyMan Triathlon (Lake Petocka, Bondurant); Omaha Arts on the Green Marathon, M Relay, Half Marathon & 5K (Omaha); Flapjack Race to Change Childhood Cancer 10K & 5K (Waterworks Park, Des Moines); Colors of Cancer 5K Run/Walk(Gilbert Elementary School); Info is below…
Saturday Group Run
Information will be forwarded by George K. or myself when we receive it.
CyclONE City Spices Up Ames
From ISU Alumni Association
The CyclONE City tour officially kicked off at the ISU Alumni Center Aug. 29, and now 30 themed, life-sized Cy statues, based on Michael D’Ambrosi’s Bronze Cy at the ISU Alumni Center, are scattered around Ames through Dec. 4 for the enjoyment of the public. Nine of the sculptures are being displayed on campus property. CyclONE City is a project of the Ames Chamber of Commerce’s 27th Leadership Ames class, which designed the initiative to coincide with the city’s sesquicentennial and support local nonprofits such as Emergency Residence Project, Mainstream Living, Youth and Shelter Services, and an ISU scholarship for an Ames resident.
For an interactive map of the many Cy statues around Ames, go to http://cyclonecity.wordpress.com/find-cy/.
Colors of Cancer 5K Run/Walk at Gilbert
From Danielle Kraehling
You are cordially invited to participate in the high school student council’s 5K Colors of Cancer Run/Walk on Sunday, September 21, beginning at 3:00 pm in the Gilbert Elementary School parking lot. We’re raising awareness and honoring those within the Gilbert family (current and former students, staff, parents, and community members) who have ever been diagnosed with any form of cancer.
Come early to enjoy the music and conversations with our honored guests. The high school cross country teams will be throwing colored powder on your shirt at various stations along the route. You may choose to walk along the path behind the elementary school if you’d prefer and still experience the fun of the colored powder.
We’ll recognize, as a group, those within our Gilbert family who have dealt with this disease, and Joyce Lauridsen (elementary school secretary currently battling ovarian cancer) will say a few words.
If you’d like to order a t-shirt for this event, please leave a message for Cathy Anderson (student council advisor) at the high school (232-3738) by September 2. Leave your contact information and the sizes you’d like. Shirts are $10 each. Click Here for the form.
All proceeds will go to the Iowa chapter of NOCC (National Ovarian Cancer Coalition). Larry McHone will “start” the race if he is able. He and his first wife, Marty, founded the Iowa chapter of NOCC many years ago.
The colors on the t-shirt were chosen purposefully to represent as many within our Gilbert family as possible (gold for children’s cancer, teal for ovarian cancer, pink for breast cancer, purple for pancreatic cancer, light blue for prostate cancer, orange for kidney cancer, lavender for all cancers, and plum for caregivers).
Walk for Wellness, Race for Recovery 5K
From Sally Carnes
WHAT: 2nd Annual “Walk for Wellness, Race for Recovery” 5K run/walk
WHERE: Ada Hayden Heritage Park, 5205 Grand Avenue, Ames, IA
WHEN: Saturday, September 20, 2014; Check-in between 8:00-8:45 AM, Race begins at 9:00 AM
WHY: To join the National Recovery Month effort to raise awareness that behavioral health is essential to overall health, that
prevention works, treatment is effective, and people can and do recover
WHO: Everyone is welcome—all ages and abilities. Join us in celebrating wellness and recovery!
HOW: A 5K run/walk will be held, with healthy snacks and a variety of family-friendly activities following the race (including Spin Art,
chair massages, giveaway bags, and behavioral health resources). Event registration is only $10 and includes a t-shirt, snacks, and
For an event flyer, go to: http://www.cfrhelps.org/assets/recovery-month_ames-2014-flyer.pdf For a registration form, go to: http://www.cfrhelps.org/assets/race-registration-form-2014.pdf. Finally, for general information about Community and Family Resources, feel free to visit www.cfrhelps.org. Thank you for your support!
Senior Executive Assistant
Community & Family Resources
1619 South High Avenue, Ames, IA 50010
726 S. 17th St., Fort Dodge, IA 50501
Phone: 515-232-3206 x1217
Run for the Roses 10K & 5K
Run for the 28th Annual Run for the Roses will be held Sunday, October 5th at Ames Middle School. The 5K run/walk will start at 9:00 AM and the 10K at 10:00 AM. Sign up today to support the Arthritis Foundation! Can’t run or walk the event? — Volunteer to help out in a number of areas. Contact Don Muff at firstname.lastname@example.org or Roman Lynch at email@example.com.
2nd Annual Coach Steve Lynn Memorial 5K and Kids Run at Ada Hayden Park
From Erica Lynn
Sunday, September 28, 2014
8:45 AM – Kids Run / 9:00 AM – Run
As of last Sunday night, we have 30 runners entered! My hope was that this year we could have around 50, so we’re getting there. We are grateful for the 30 as well as the donations that have been given. We are also excited that Valentino’s has generously donated breakfast pizzas for after the race! If you haven’t yet and plan to run, don’t forget to sign up (you can also do so at the race, it’s just easier for me if you do it sooner 🙂 ). To just donate, select the tab under the Event dropdown that says ‘just donate’. You will still fill out address and shirt size and all that jazz.
Again, thank you for all your support. We are very excited about the potential for this race to grow in years to come but also for the opportunities dad will still be able to provide for young kids. Please, please, please, share with those I may not have contacts for but you think would be interested.
About the Race
“Success starts with a chance.” All funds from the race will be donated to the Coach Lynn Memorial Scholarship Fund. This fund will provide a one-time financial donation to a graduating Iowa high school senior competing in track and field at a college or university in the state of Iowa. With this scholarship, another athlete will have a chance at success because of Coach Steve Lynn. If you cannot join us, donations can still be made through the Race Monkey registration site.
Amenities – Long sleeved t-shirts for adult/short sleeved t-shirts for kids, Breakfast & Awards
Course Description – The 5K course will start and finish at Ada Hayden Heritage Park Address: 5205 Grand Ames, IA 50010
Post Race – Drinks and snacks will be available after the race.
Story County Crimestoppers’ Running Down Crime 5K
From Warren Franke
I’m a member of the Story County Crime Stoppers Board. The Board provides reward money to people who provide tips to Story County law enforcement agencies that lead to arrests or convictions. We are hosting a 5K run, at Ada Hayden Park on October 18th, in order to raise funds to provide more reward money. Information about this effort can be found at http://www.crimestoppers5k.com/index.cfm. Runners can either register online or complete the PDF flyer that’s also available at the website.
Thank you in advance for joining us!
Warren D. Franke, Ph.D., FACSM
Professor, Dept. of Kinesiology
Director, The Exercise Clinic
Iowa State University
247 Forker Building
Ames, IA 50011
ISU IronDog 5K
From Danielle Kraehling (& Website)
Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine is working to develop a chapter of the Iron Dog charity, which was created to support the medical and surgical management of animals hospitalized at the ISU Veterinary Teaching Hospital. The goal of the fund is to financially assist in providing care for animals in cases where pet owners have to make difficult decisions based on financial considerations. It provides financial support to cases where curative options are available, but are not affordable. Too often in today’s economy animals are not provided life saving care not because it is not available, but because it is not affordable. Several success stories can be read at http://irondogfund.org/success.php. Iowa State University has a group of interested and dedicated house officers, faculty, and staff that have worked many hours to develop this program and offer this service to our community here in Iowa. We recognize the financial constraints that some of our clients face at our hospital. There is currently no other funding source available to help offset the costs of cases where the only obstacles to successful outcomes are financial limitations. In addition, as this is a teaching institution, we feel an obligation to demonstrate for our students the role of the veterinarian as responsible, engaged members of our communities.
The Iowa State Chapter of the Iron Dog Fund will work locally to generate a funding stream for cases in need. This will include, but is not limited to, hospital and college derived donations, individual fund generation at sporting events, and sponsoring a 5 K running / walking event on Saturday, October 25, 2014 at Ada Hayden. The Iron Dog Fund emphasizes physical activity and healthy lifestyles of our companions as well as ourselves.
Join us for our 2nd Annual Iron Dog Fun Run 5k at Ada Hayden, Ames, IA and bring your dog to run or walk with you!
The Gingerbread 5K Run/Walk
From Diana Baltimore
Please join us for the second annual Gingerbread Run/Walk for Adoption. This year’s event will be held at Ada Hayden Park, Ames, Iowa, on Sunday, October 26 at 1:30. Spectators, walkers, and runners are all welcome.
Registrations and donations can be completed via mail or online, at http://racesonline.com/events/the-gingerbread-run-for-adoption
Thank you to our sponsors: Youth and Shelter Services, Inc., AMP-Achieving Maximum Potential, Iowa KidsNet, The National Center for Adoption, Boone County Hospital, Lutheran Family Service, Boone Bank and Trust, Co. (Member FDIC), Rotary Club of Boone, and Wicked Soundz.
Please share the attached PDF and JPEG (for Facebook).
Planning Committee Members: Ruth Buckels, Bambi Schrader, Alyssa Shephard, Diana Baltimore, Roxanne Thompson, and Terri Bailey
The National Center for Adoption
“Like us” on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter @natcentadoption
Semi-organized group runs during the next week:
Feel free to shortcut any of these routes if they’re longer than you feel like running!
- Friday, September 19th @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
- Saturday, September 20th @ TBA: 5, 8 & 16 Mile Team Vardo group runs; Chris Feil is the routemaster; Info is coming…
- Monday, September 22nd @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
- Tuesday, September 23rd @ 5:30 PM: 4, 6 & 10 mile Vardo group runs; Danielle Kraehlingis the routemaster; Meet at the City Hall Gym south door.
- Wednesday, September 24th @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
- Thursday, September 25th @ 5:30 PM: 3-5 mile group run; Ada Hayden Park, North Shelter
- Friday, September 26th @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
Red print denotes regularly-scheduled weekly events.
Check out www.teamvardo.com for suggested daily workouts.
ISU Running Club group run times from Beyer Gym. Here they are:
Monday – Friday: 6:00 AM & 4:15 PM from Beyer Hall Saturday – Sunday: 10:00 AM from Beyer Hall
Ames Area Runnin’, Swimmin’ & Bikin’ Stuff thru October:
- Saturday, September 20th @ 9:00 AM: Walk for Wellness, Race for Recovery 5K (Ada Hayden Park); http://www.cfrhelps.org/assets/race-registration-form-2014.pdf
- Saturday, September 20th @ 10:00 AM: Step Out Walk to Stop Diabetes (Principal Park, Des Moines); 5K & 1M walks followed by a healthy tailgate; http://stepout.diabetes.org/site/TR?fr_id=9875&pg=entry
- Saturday, September 20th @ 10:00 AM: Beaverdale Beaverdash 5K & 1M (Beaverdale); http://www.fsma.org/Fundraising/EventsCalendar/index.cfm?id=8451&eventRedirect=1&type=1154
- Saturday, September 20th @ 10:00 AM: Pi Mile Run 5K(Brookside Park, Ames); Benefits Special Olympics; http://iowaalpha.tbp.org/pi-mile-run/
- Saturday, September 20th @ 4:00 PM: Rock ‘n Run 5K for Metro Arts (Clive Aquatic Center); http://www.metroarts.org/programs/rock-n-run/
- Sunday, September 21st @ 6:00 AM: Omaha Arts on the Green Marathon, M Relay, Half Marathon & 5K (Omaha); http://omahamarathon.com/
- Sunday, September 21st @ 8:00 AM: Capitol Pursuit 10K Run & 5K Run/Walk (Des Moines); http://www.capitalstriders.org/capital-pursuit
- Sunday, September 21st: CyMan Triathlon (Lake Petocka, Bondurant; Olympic and Sprint Distances; http://www.active.com/bondurant-ia/triathlon/races/cyman-triathlon-2014?int=
- Sunday, September 21st @ 10:00 AM: Flapjack Race to Change Childhood Cancer 10K & 5K (Waterworks Park, Des Moines); http://www.childrenscancerconnection.org/flapjack-5k10k/
- Sunday, September 21st @ 3:00 PM: Colors of Cancer 5K Run/Walk(Gilbert Elementary School); http://gilbert.k12.ia.us/announcements/colors-of-cancer-run
- Saturday, September 27th @ 8:00 AM: Oktemberfest 5K & 10K (Marshalltown); http://www.oktemberfest.com/saturday/5k-10k-walk-run
- Sunday, September 28th @ 7:30 AM: Quad Cities Marathon, Relay, Half Marathon, 5K & 1M (Moline); http://qcmarathon.org/
- Sunday, September 28th @ 9:00 AM: 2nd Annual Coach Steve Lynn Memorial 5K & Kids Run (Ada Hayden, Ames); Kids run 8:45; http://myemail.constantcontact.com/-Race-Monkey-Coach-Steve-Lynn-Memorial-5k.html?soid=1104611679715&aid=kqfHONXApO0
- Sunday, September 28th @ 10:00 AM: Remembrance Run 5K (Raccoon River Park, West Des Moines); http://iowaremembrancerun.com/
- Saturday, October 4th @ 9:00 AM: Viking 5K Run/Walk (Grandview University, Des Moines); http://www.grandview.edu/aspx/audience/content.aspx?pageid=348
- Saturday, October 4th @ 9:00 AM: Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K Run/Walk, 1 M Walk & Kids Race (Iowa State Capitol – south lawn); http://www.komendesmoines.org/
- Saturday, October 4th @ 9:00 AM: Blue Sky Day 5K Run/Walk(ISU Alumni Center, Ames); http://lsiowa.org/index.php/support/give/other-ways-to-give/blue-sky-day/#.VAAAMWd0zcs
- Saturday, October 4th @ 10:00 AM: NAMI Walks (Farm Bureau Lake, West Des Moines); https://securewalks.nami.org/registrant/LoginRegister.aspx?eventid=143012&langpref=en-CA&Referrer=http%3a%2f%2fwww.fitnesssports.com%2fraces.oct.html
- Saturday, October 4th @ 10:00 AM: Walk to DeFeat ALS – 2M Walk (Principal Park, Des Moines); http://web.alsa.org/site/TR/Walks/Blueprint?fr_id=10156&pg=entry#.VAACD2d0zcs
- Sunday, October 5th: Run for the Roses 5K (9:00 AM) & 10K (10:00 AM)(Ames Middle School); https://secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=11115
- Saturday, October 11th @ 8:15 AM: Bridges of Madison County 8K & 5K (Winterset City Park); Kids race @ 8:00 AM; http://www.fitnesssports.com/oct_races/BridgeFestival/14/Covered%20Bridge%20Race%20B%23E48DB.pdf
- Saturday, October 11th @ 8:30 AM: Free to Breathe 5K Run/Walk & 1M Walk (Raccoon River Park, West Des Moines); Benefits lung cancer awareness and research; http://participate.freetobreathe.org/site/TR?fr_id=2601&pg=entry#.VAAE42d0zcv
- Saturday, October 18th @ 9:00 AM: Running Down Crime 5K Run/Walk(Ada Hayden Park, Ames); http://www.crimestoppers5k.com/
- Sunday, October 19th @ 8:00 AM: Des Moines Marathon, Marathon Relay, Half Marathon & 5K Run/Walk (Downtown Des Moines); http://www.desmoinesmarathon.com/
- Saturday, October 25th @ 9:00 AM: Iron Dog 5K Run/Walk(Ada Hayden Park, Ames); https://secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=11694