- Your Official Weekly Guide to Ames Running
Visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/amesrunners
Visit Team Vardo at www.teamvardo.com
Ames Runnin’ Stuff This Weekend
Saturday, October 28th Vardo Group Run: 4 & 8 Mile Group Run; Barb Wheelock & Greg Courtney are the routemasters; Info is below…
Also on Saturday, October 28th: Komen Race for the Cure (Iowa State Capitol); To Grandmother’s House We Go 15K, 10K & 5K (Brown’s Woods, West Des Moines; 6 & 24-Hour Equalizer Endurance Runs (Gray’s Lake, Des Moines); Info is below…
Also on Sunday, October 29th: Hot Cider Hustle 5K Run/Walk (Jordan Creek Mall, West Des Moines); Sunday Funday High Trestle Trail Bike Ride (Nite Hawk, Slater); Info is below…
Also on Tuesday, October 31st: Team Vardo Group Run (Ames City Hall)…
Saturday Vardo Group Run
From Barb Wheelock & Greg Courtney
Not sure I can be there, but here are two 4 mile routes for Saturday. Meet at the Café at 7:00 AM.
4 miles: Start at Cafe, South down Stange to Osborn; Right or West on Osborn to Morrill; Left or South on Morrill to Memorial Union – water; home again, home again clippity clop. www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=594065
For those wanting 8, another 4 + to add on to above: Cafe North on Stange; Bloomington to Hyde; North to Harrison; South edge of Ada Hayden; up Dawes Drive hill (sorry) to Top O Hollow; Bloomington to Stange and back to the Café. www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=594068
RFTR Night at Texas Roadhouse
From Maggie Horrigan
We are having a fundraising night at Texas Roadhouse on Wednesday November 1st from 5-8 pm. Either print the flyer, show it on a phone, or tell your server you are there for Alpha Omicron Pi, and 10% of sales will be donated back to us. Texas Roadhouse did not have an open date to donate a portion of their proceeds until after the RFTR event. Hope there is a good turnout.!
Editor’s note: The flier is attached to the ARS email.
Equalizer Endurance Run
From the Organizers
Event Description: This event is designed for three purposes. First, it will provide an opportunity for new and veteran runners to test themselves at an ultra-distance. Second, performances will be scored using an age/sex ‘equalizer’, providing the possibility of an overall victory to anyone who is normally competitive in their age group. Equalizers are determined based on age and gender. Overall awards will be distributed based on the total of actual distance plus the appropriate equalizer. Third, everyone has fun, and we mean everyone!
Equalizers: This event is designed so anyone competitive in his or her age/sex group could be the overall winner. The equalizers allow you to compete fairly with anyone you choose.
Course Description: A 1.905 mile essentially flat loop, lighted asphalt path, circling Gray’s Lake with splendid views of downtown. USATF certified #IA02004-MF.
Komen Race for the Cure
From the Organizers
Why do we fundraise for breast cancer cures?
- Because 1 in 8 women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
- Because every 19 seconds, somewhere in the world, a case of breast cancer is diagnosed in a woman.
- Because every 60 seconds, somewhere in the world, someone dies from breast cancer; every 13 minutes, one woman in the U.S. will lose her life to breast cancer.
- Because breast cancer knows no boundaries. It affects people of every age, gender, socio-economic status and location.
- Because at the current rate, 13 million breast cancer deaths will occur around the world in the next 25 years.
- Because it’s time to go beyond breast cancer awareness. It’s time to take action!Take Action. We can fight these statistics together. Join the breast cancer movement by fundraising for Race for the Cure®.
Your fundraising has the power to make a true impact. Just consider how far we have come, thanks in part to supporters like you:
- Race for the Cure® has raised more than $2 billion to help fund research, education, screening and treatment.
- In 1980, the 5-year relative survival rate for women diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer was about 74 percent. Today, that number is 99 percent.
- Since our founding in 1982, Susan G. Komen’s national research program has invested in cutting-edge research that has helped make major breakthroughs possible.
- Funding for discoveries in genetics and biology has led to personalized, less-invasive breast cancer treatments to replace the less-effective “one-treatment-fits-all” approach.
- Race for the Cure® is your opportunity to turn your support for the breast cancer movement into action. Prove that you are More Than Pink™, and help us end breast cancer forever.
I will post my final ARS on Thursday, December 28th. This date will mesh pretty close to my probable not yet announced retirement date from Iowa DOT. It’s been a great run!
Semi-organized group runs during the next week:
- Saturday, October 21st @ 7:00 AM: 4 & 8 Mile Team Vardo group runs; Barb Wheelock & Greg Courtney are the routemasters; Info is above…
- Tuesday, October 24th @ 5:30 PM: Team Vardo group runs; Route and length will be determined on-site; Meet at the City Hall Gym south door
- Thursday, October 26th @ 5:30 PM: Variable distance group run; Meet at Ada Hayden Park north lot
Check out www.teamvardo.com for suggested daily workouts.
Ames Area Runnin’, Swimmin’ & Bikin’ Stuff thru December
- Saturday, October 28th: Komen Race for the Cure (Iowa State Capitol); 5K Run @ 9:00/1M Run/Walk @ 9:30/ Kids Run @ 10:00; http://www.info-komen.org/site/TR/RacefortheCure/WAU_GreaterIowaAffiliate?pg=entry&fr_id=6953
- Saturday, October 28th @ 9:00 AM: To Grandmother’s House We Go 15K, 10K & 5K (Brown’s Woods, West Des Moines; https://secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=127634
- Saturday, October 28th: 6 & 24-Hour Equalizer Endurance Runs (Gray’s Lake, Des Moines); http://www.equalizerdsm.com/
- Sunday, October 29th @ 8:30 AM: Hot Cider Hustle 5K Run/Walk (Jordan Creek Mall, West Des Moines); http://iowaruns.com/westdesmoineshotciderhustle
- Sunday, October 29th: Sunday Funday High Trestle Trail Bike Ride (Nite Hawk, Slater)
- Saturday, November 4th @ 8:00 AM: Hillbilly Hike Half Marathon (Indianola High School); Finish at Carlisle High School; http://www.hope4indianola.com/hillbilly-hike.html
- Saturday, November 4th @ 8:00 AM: Hillbilly Hike 10K Run (Summerset State Park); Finish at Carlisle High School; http://www.hope4indianola.com/hillbilly-hike.html
- Saturday, November 4th @ 10:00 AM: Nippy Hippy 5K Run/Walk (Altoona); https://www.facebook.com/nippyhippie5k/
- Saturday, November 4th @ 10:00 AM: Gingerbread Run for Adoption 5K Run/Walk (DMACC Campus, Ankeny); https://www.facebook.com/Gingerbread-Run-677531359049204/
- Saturday, November 4th @ 7:00 PM: Full Moon High Trestle Bridge Ride (Slater and Madrid Trailheads); http://www.bikeiowa.com/Event/11247/full-moon-high-trestle-bridge-ride
- Sunday, November 5th @ 9:00 AM: Halloween Hot Chocolate 5M & 5K Runs (Principal Park, Des Moines); http://www.halloweenhotchocolaterace.com/
- Sunday, November 5th: Sunday Funday High Trestle Trail Bike Ride (Flat Tire, Madrid); Music by Nate Nelson, 2-4 PM
- Saturday, November 11th @ 10:00 AM: Aw Sh*t 50M Ride on the High Trestle Trail (Ankeny Trailhead); http://www.bikeiowa.com/Event/11227/aw-sht-ride-2017
- Sunday, November 12th: Sunday Funday High Trestle Trail Bike Ride (Whislin’ Donkey, Woodward)
- Saturday, November 18th @ 9:00 AM: Living History Farms Off-Road Race (LHF, Urbandale); http://www.fitnesssports.com/November_races/LivHistFarms/lhf_index.html
- Saturday, November 18th @ 5:30 PM: Tour de Lights 1.5M Run/Walk (Adventureland, Altoona); Benefits Iowa Make-A-Wish Foundation; http://iowa.wish.org/news-and-events/calendar-of-events/november/tour-de-lights
- Thursday, November 23rd @ 9:00 AM: Des Moines Turkey Trot (Downtown Des Moines); http://www.desmoinesturkeytrot.com/
- Thursday, November 23rd @ 9:30 AM: Turkey Trot 5M & 5K (Iowa State Fairgrounds); Link not functional)
- Saturday, November 25th @ 9:00 AM: Hungry Turkey Half Marathon Run & 5K ( E. First & Walnut, Des Moines); http://iowaruns.com/desmoineshungryturkeyrun
- Saturday, December 2nd @ 9:00 AM: Sycamore 8 Trail Run (Sycamore Trail on NW 66th, Johnston); http://www.capitalstriders.org/sycamore-8
- Saturday, December 2nd @ 9:00 AM: Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis (6001 Westown Pkwy, West Des Moines); http://www.jbr.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1173372
- Sunday, December 31st @ 9:00 AM: Pedaling for Autism on the HTT 12M & 25M (Madrid); http://www.bikeiowa.com/Event/11336/pedaling-for-autism
Coming Up in 2018
- Sunday, January 14th: Triple D Winter Race 50K, Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K (Dubuque)
- Saturday, February 3rd: BRR Ride (Perry)
- Sunday, April 29th: Run CRANDIC Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K (Iowa City)
- Sunday, May 6th: Lincoln Marathon & Half Marathon (Lincoln, NE)
- Thursday, May 31st: KANDANGO Rides (Manhattan, KS)
- Saturday, June 9th: Pedal Chichaqua Valley Trail (Bondurant)
- Saturday, June 30th: Central Iowa Tour de Cure (Urbandale)