Your Official Weekly Guide to Ames Running
Visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/amesrunners
Visit Team Vardo at www.teamvardo.com
Ames Runnin’ Stuff This Weekend
Saturday, November 25th Team Vardo Group Run: Info will be forwarded when it’s available…
Also on Saturday, November 25th: Hungry Turkey Half Marathon Run & 5K ( E. First & Walnut, Des Moines); Info is below…
Also on Tuesday, November 27th: Team Vardo Group Run (Ames City Hall south door)
2018 Drake Relays Road Race
From the Organizers
Kick off your 2018 Relays week by running in the 50th Anniversary of the Drake Road Races on our new date of Sunday, April 22nd! Start your spring racing season and join us in celebrating the road race’s first half century. We’ve listened to YOU and brought back the ever popular 10k distance in addition to the 5k and half marathon.
New Date: Sunday, April 22, 2018
New Courses: All to finish on the iconic Blue Oval in Drake Stadium
New Race: 10k in addition to the 5k and half marathon
REGISTER BY JAN. 1ST BEFORE PRICES GO UP! To celebrate our 50th anniversary, be sure to register through January 1st for best pricing on the 5k, 10k and half marathon! To sign up, click HERE or the REGISTER NOW box below. Be one of the first Relays finishers of 2018 and save when you sign up for the Drake Road Races!
2018 (and Final) Dam to Dam Race
From the Organizers
Dam to Dam 39 Forever
June 15, 1980 was a special date in Dam to Dam history – – it was the first DAM race. It was started by Des Moines runners with a desire for a great road race in their home city. June 2, 2018 will again be a special date in Dam to Dam history – – it will be celebrated as “39 Forever.” Yes it will be the last DAM race. The community of runners, volunteers and race organizers will see the end of a wonderful tradition.
The race started from simple beginnings as 375 made their way from Saylorville Dam to downtown Des Moines. With the addition of the 5 kilometer and youth runs the race now attracts 10,000 participants. During these 39 years Des Moines’ downtown has been transformed into a thriving 5-star city bustling with activities every weekend of the year. Dam to Dam is proud to be a part of this amazing growth and revitalization.
Dam to Dam has always been a humble race but it quickly became known as Iowa’s Distance Classic. Runners from every town and corner of Iowa trekked to the race yearly. Iowa’s best – – veterans and novices alike ran Dam to Dam; a test of will and stamina. The race didn’t disappoint.
The DAM organizers are as humble as the race, always thinking of the runners first! Many of the initial volunteers continue to lead the race today. As the running environment has changed over the years, there has been one constant, Dam to Dam. Never-the-less next June will be the last. The race will end as it started, finishing at the iconic Crusoe Umbrella on Cowles Common. It will be 20 kilometer, just like the first year 1980 with no 5 kilometer or youth run.
There is no doubt that runners will bemoan the end of Dam to Dam. But the race organizers wish everyone will celebrate the last race and rejoice in the many years of Iowa’s Distance Classic. Like year one in 1980 . . . Dam to Dam has done good, bringing a great race to Des Moines. 2018 on-line registration will begin March 14, 2018. Limit to 8000 runners. Race will start at Saylorville Dam and finish at Cowles Common, 20 kilometers.
Final ARS by Waldo
I will post my final ARS on Thursday, December 28th. This date will fall on my retirement date from Iowa DOT. It’s been a great run!
Semi-organized group runs during the next week:
Feel free to shortcut any of these routes if they’re longer than you feel like running!
- Saturday, November 25th @ ?:00 AM: Info will be forwarded when I receive it…
- Tuesday, November 27th @ 5:30 PM: Team Vardo group runs; Route and length will be determined on-site; Meet at the City Hall Gym south door
- Thursday, November 30th @ 5:30 PM: Variable distance group run; Meet at Ada Hayden Park north lot
Check out www.teamvardo.com for suggested daily workouts.
Ames Area Runnin’, Swimmin’ & Bikin’ Stuff thru December
- Saturday, November 25th @ 9:00 AM: Hungry Turkey Half Marathon Run & 5K ( E. First & Walnut, Des Moines); http://iowaruns.com/desmoineshungryturkeyrun
- Saturday, December 2nd @ 9:00 AM: Sycamore 8 Trail Run (Sycamore Trail on NW 66th, Johnston); http://www.capitalstriders.org/sycamore-8
- Saturday, December 2nd @ 9:00 AM: Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis (6001 Westown Pkwy, West Des Moines); http://www.jbr.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1173372
- Sunday, December 31st @ 9:00 AM: Pedaling for Autism on the HTT 12M & 25M (Madrid); http://www.bikeiowa.com/Event/11336/pedaling-for-autism
Coming Up in 2018
- Sunday, January 14th: Triple D Winter Race 50K, Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K (Dubuque)
- Sunday, January 28th: Iowa Games Winter 5K (Dubuque)
- Sunday, January 28th: Icebreaker Indoor Triathlon (WDM YMCA)
- Saturday, February 3rd: Rosy Cheeks 5K (Story City)
- Saturday, February 3rd: BRR Ride (Perry)
- Saturday, February 10th: Red Flannel Run (Des Moines)
- Sunday, April 8th: Fight for Air Climb (Des Moines)
- Sunday, April 8th: St. Louis Marathon
- Sunday, April 22nd: Drake Relays Road Race (Drake Stadium)
- Sunday, April 29th: Run CRANDIC Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K (Iowa City)
- Sunday, May 6th: Des Moines Women’s Half Marathon
- Sunday, May 6th: Lincoln Marathon & Half Marathon (Lincoln, NE)
- Saturday, May 13th: Market to Market Relay (Jefferson to Principal Park)
- Thursday, May 31st: KANDANGO Rides (Manhattan, KS)
- Saturday, June 2nd: Final Dam to Dam Race (Saylorville Dam to Cowles Commons)
- Friday, June 8th: Relay Iowa (Sioux City to Dubuque)
- Saturday, June 9th: Pedal Chichaqua Valley Trail (Bondurant)
- Saturday, June 16th: Run to Exile (Des Moines)
- Saturday, June 16th: Grandma’s Marathon (Duluth)
- Saturday, June 30th: Central Iowa Tour de Cure (Urbandale)
- July 22nd thru July 28th: RAGBRAI
- Saturday, July 28th: Bix 7 Road Race (Davenport)
- Sunday, October 7th: Twin Cities Marathon (Minneapolis)
- Saturday, October 13th: Whistlestop Marathon (Ashland, WI)
- Sunday, October 21st: Des Moines Marathon