Thursday, May 29, 2014 to Thursday, June 5, 2014
~~Ames Runnin’ Stuff This Weekend
Saturday, May 24th: Team Vardo 3, 13 & 20 Mile Vardo Group Runs; Del “The Honey Badger” Weiss is the routemaster; Info is below…
Also on Saturday, May 31st: Dam to Dam Half Marathon (Saylorville Dam); Dam to Dam 5K (10th & Locust Streets, Des Moines); Info is below…
Also on Sunday, June 1st: Pigman Sprint Triathlon (Pleasant Creek State Park, Palo); Info is below…
Saturday Morning Team Vardo Group Run
From Del Weiss
Here are the details for the Saturday run. Start time is at 7:00 a.m. from the River Valley North Park parking lot.
3+ mile Route
West on 13th to the Aquatic Center, then head back. (out and back)
13 mile Route
This is a route that one can find on the USATF site. It is called the “Vardo 20ish-’13” route. (Editor’s note: I wasn’t able to find it. Just show up at 7:00 and Del will show you the way)
20 mile Route
West on 13th to Ontario to S. Dakota (water on the corner, 4.5 mi); South on S. Dakota to Lincoln Way; East on Lincoln Way to University; North on University; East on 6th St to Brookside park (water by bathrooms, 8 mi); North through Brookside to 13th St.; East on 13th to Stagecoach Rd.; North on Stagecoach to E. Riverside Rd (water at L driveway, after curves 12 mi); West on Riverside to Grand Ave.; Head north to Ada Hay entrance (or cross over whenever you feel is good and safe); Go counterclockwise around til you get to entrance at Dawes. (water 16.5 mi); Take Dawes South to Grand; East on Duff; East on 20th St; East on Meadowlane to Carr Park; Hop on trail that goes along river; Take the Skunk River Trail back to the parking lot.
Street Construction Heads-Up
From Mike Parsons
State Avenue between Mortenson Rd. and the US 30 bridge is closed for construction until June 10th (assuming good weather).
Ames on the Half Shell Kicks Off Friday 5/30
From Ames Jaycees
The Ames Jaycees can’t wait for you to join ourselves and Burnin’ Sensations this Friday for the very first Ames on the Half Shell of 2014! Admission Cost is $4. Since this is a 21 and over event, ID is required. Food, Beverages and Live Music available.
Family Friendly. Kids welcome with a parent or guardian. For the kids, Becca Wemhoff, The Balloon Lady will be there. Free Root Beer by Olde Main Brewing Co. & Restaurant.
Mudslayers 5K Challenge Mud Run
From Mathew Hanson
With over 25 obstacles in a 5K challenging you with everything from height, sliding, climbing, and yes, mud. It’s an experience to remember with friends. Race options include the Mini MudSlayers for kids 6-12 as well as multiple wave options. All runners get a custom medal, race bib and official MudSlayer t-shirt. Build a team of MudSlayers! For more information about the event, go to http://www.mudslayers.com/.
The Fort Dodge Mudslayers 5K event is scheduled for Saturday, June 14th at Mineral City Speedway, 2298 South River Rd., just south of Fort Dodge. The first wave is at 8:00 AM, but there will be additional waves through the morning.
A part of the proceeds go to benefit The Youth Alliance. The Youth Alliance (TYA) deliver powerful messages of hope and encouragement to students in cities across America. “We believe your community’s greatest assets are not in its buildings, but in the students themselves.” To learn more, visit www.TheYouthAlliance.com
Fort Dodge Community Recreation Center
firstname.lastname@example.org phone 515-573-7107
Break the Silence on Ovarian Cancer 5K Run/Walk
From Ashley Parrish
I am a member of the Iowa Chapter of the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition and we are hosting our signature event, a 5k run/walk to Break the Silence on Ovarian Cancer on Saturday, June 14, 2014 at Raccoon River Park. Registration begins at 8:00 AM the day of the race and the run will begin at 10:00 AM. Food and drinks will be available as well as Zumba, a DJ, and a live music. People can register ahead of time at http://nocc.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1101108.
Run to Exile 10K & 5K
From Pasha Korsakov
It’s been warm for a few minutes consistently finally and we are less than two months away from Run to Exile 2.0 on June 14, 2014! There are already nearly 300 people signed up to race this year! For those that haven’t looked yet, the race has changed from last year. We have 5K and 10K options that no longer require you to get on buses! You still get an awesome technical shirt. You still get an awesome beer glass courtesy of Exile Brewing Co. You definitely still get your first beer free!
Be sure to check out one of our awesome sponsors as you’re preparing to race at CrossFit Flyover! It’s a great way to get in shape before you ruin it all with too much beer! Register for this race at http://runtoexile.com/.
If you’re unable to race, but would still like to help out, we would GREATLY appreciate your help as a volunteer! You still get a cool shirt and a free beer! Sign up HERE to volunteer!
Remember, if you have any questions, feel free to email us at email@example.com.
Be Amazing! Race
From Event Website
Just what is the Be Amazing! Race? It’s several hours of good natured competition amongst teams of two on Saturday, June 21st. There will also be plenty of music, food, fun, and laughs. It is not a triathlon or a traditional road race. You don’t have to be a marathon runner to participate. You should, however, probably be able to swim and ride a bicycle.
It’s a fun, quirky, adventure that will prove to challenge a team’s agility, balance, coordination, strength, intelligence, problem solving skills, fine motor skills, and most importantly, their sense of humor. You are invited to be a part of something AMAZING! Start a team, volunteer, sponsor a challenge or simply come out for a great time while supporting a wonderful cause. And don’t forget…always expect the unexpected!
Only 30 teams can participate in the Race, so be sure to sign up right away! Not only will you secure your chance to win the grand prize, but you’ll have plenty of time to fundraise. Registration is as easy as 1…2…3:
• Find a teammate. Grab a friend, family member, workout partner, or co-worker and complete your AMAZING team. Certainly the two of you would look great together holding that giant check. In addition, both partners should plan on bringing a bicycle. We can’t tell you much more than that, but you will need it during the Race.
• Register and Get Support. Online registration is simple and only $100 per team! Use our online fundraising tool to raise money. You can also use social media to fuel your efforts.
• Compete for fundraising incentives. Going above and beyond can insure your spot at the top. Increase your competitive advantage by using your finest skills to encourage your network of supporters to support your team while raising money for Mainstream Living.
See more at: http://www.beamazingrace.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1108300
5! On the 4th!
From Lou Scallon
5! on the 4th!, 5K Race/ Walk July 4, 2014 The run/walk starts at 8:00 AM with registration at Ada Hayden Shelter from 6:30 to 7:30 AM Register on-line at www.Racemonkey.com For more information go to www.friendshipark.org or call 515-292-9556 Proceeds benefits Friendship Ark Homes which provides homes for adults with intellectual disabilities.
I am looking for a few more volunteers, as well if you are interested. If you’re available let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks Lou Scallon
From Shannon McHone
Walk / Run / Bike : The Marty. (In memory of Marty McHone) Please choose a time between June 29th (Marty’s birth date) and July 29th (Marty’s death date), to walk, run or bike (swim, kayak, hoola hoop…you get the idea) any distance at any speed and designate it as walking, running, biking or doing ‘The Marty’. Please send your form back to me as soon as you have completed your event. We are interested in promoting physical activity for health and happiness and also to educate others of the symptoms of Ovarian Cancer. Follow “The Marty” on facebook for event information and links to resources. In health, happiness and running!
Challenge Run 2014 at Bloomsbury Farm
From Carissa Buttjer
Good afternoon! I am writing to you from Bloomsbury Farm in Atkins, Iowa. We will be hosting our 2nd annual Challenge Run – a 3.5k Mud Run to benefit the March of Dimes – on July 19 here at our Farm! We are located about 10 miles west of Cedar Rapids. The Challenge Run will feature obstacles, mud, concessions, and an after-party with beer tent and rockin’ music! Each runner will receive a Thank You Bag with a Challenge Run T-shirt and other goodies! The cost is $45/runner through June 30, $50/runner July 1-July 18, and $60/runner the day of the event. A portion of all proceeds will be donated to the March of Dimes to further their mission of “Growing Stronger, Healthier Babies”.
Last year was our first time hosting the Challenge Run, and it was a HUGE SUCCESS!! We had over 380 runners! Everyone had a blast, and we are very much looking forward to doing it again this year! An exciting change from last year is that runners can now register online for their heats! www.BloomsburyFarm.com/ChallengeRun has all the details!
Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you need any more info! Thanks and have a great day!
Semi-organized group runs during the next week:
Feel free to shortcut any of these routes if they’re longer than you feel like running!
• Friday, May 30th @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
• Saturday, May 31st @ 7:00 AM: 3, 13 & 20 Mile Team Vardo group runs; Del “The Honey Badger” Weiss is the routemaster; Info is above…
• Monday, June 2nd @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
• Tuesday, June 3rd @ 5:30 PM: 3 & 6 mile Vardo group runs; Linda Lehman is the routemaster; Meet at the City Hall Gym south door.
• Tuesday, June 3rd @ 6:30 AM: Easy 3 mile run from Tom Jackson’s house, 1112 Ridgewood Ave.
• Wednesday, June 4th @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
• Thursday, June 5th @ 6:15 AM: Easy 3 mile run from Tom Jackson’s house, 1112 Ridgewood Ave.
• Thursday, June 5th @ 5:30 PM: 3-5 mile group run; Ada Hayden Park, North Shelter
• Friday, June 6th @ 5:00 AM: Regular 8 mile training run from the south Ames Racquet & Fitness Center, 320 S. 17th
Red print denotes regularly-scheduled weekly events.
Check out www.teamvardo.com for suggested daily workouts.
Ames Area Runnin’, Swimmin’ & Bikin’ Stuff thru July:
• Saturday, May 31st @ 7:00 AM: Dam to Dam Half Marathon (Saylorville Dam); http://www.damtodam.com/halfmarathon.shtml
• Saturday, May 31st @ 9:30 AM: Dam to Dam 5K (10th & Locust Streets, Des Moines); http://www.damtodam.com/5K.shtml
• Sunday, June 1st at 7:30 AM: Pigman Sprint Triathlon (Pleasant Creek State Park, Palo); 500M Swim, 25K Bike and 5K Run; http://pigmantri.com/races/pigman-sprint/
• Friday-Sunday, June 6th-8th: Relay Iowa (Sioux City to Dubuque); http://www.relayia.org/
• Saturday, June 7th @ 7:30 AM: Scandinavian Days 5K Run/Walk (Story City); http://www.scandi5k.com/
• Saturday, June 7th @ 8:00 AM: Rescue Run 5K Run/Walk (Ada Hayden Park); Fun Run/No Timing; http://www.amesrescuerun.com/index.html
• Saturday, June 7th @ 9:00 AM: Holiday Lake Triathlon (Brooklyn); 500M Swim, 25K Bike, 5K Run; http://www.holidaylaketri.com/
• Thursday-Sunday, June 12th – 15th: Iowa Senior Games (West Des Moines); http://iowaseniorgames.org/
• Saturday, June 14th @ 6:00 AM: Marathon to Marathon 5K, ½ Marathon, Marathon & Marathon Relay (Storm Lake); http://www.marathon2marathon.com/
• Saturday, June 14th @ 8:00 AM: Hope Run 5K Run & 2.5K Fun Run/Walk (Ames Middle School); Hope Run, Jr. at 9:00 on the track; http://www.mgmc.org/mgmcfoundation/hope-run-for-hospice/#.U2HFEMJOXcs
• Saturday, June 14th @ 8:00 AM: Clive Running Festival 10K & 5K (Clive Aquatic Center); Kids’ 1M @ 9:15 & Tadpole Trot (ages 1-8) at 9:30; http://www.fitnesssports.com/juneraces/Clive_Fest/Cliveinfo.html
• Saturday, June 14th @ 8:00 AM: Mudslayers 5K Challenge Run (Fort Dodge); http://www.mudslayers.com/
• Saturday, June 14th @ 9:30 AM: Central Iowa Heart Walk (Iowa State Capitol); http://heartwalk.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1075116
• Saturday, June 14th @ 10:00 AM: Break the Silence on Ovarian Cancer 5K Run/Walk (Raccoon River Park, West Des Moines); Kids’ Run at 8:30 AM; http://nocc.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1101108
• Saturday, June 14th @ 3:00 PM: Run to Exile 10K & 5K (Exile Brewery & Restaurant, Des Moines); https://www.facebook.com/runtoexile
• Saturday, June 14th @ 5:00 PM: Campustown Summerfest 5K Fun Run/Walk (Clock Tower at Welch & Chamberlain); http://www.campustownsummerfest.com/
• Saturday, June 14th: The Quad Cities Triathlon is sold out.
• Saturday, June 21st @ 7:30 AM: State Center Rose Festival 10K & 5K Runs (West Marshall H.S., State Center); Register at the high school
• Saturday, June 21st @ 9:30 AM: Iowa Games Mud Run 5K (James Cownie Soccer Park, Des Moines); Little Muddy Buddy Run at 8:30 and 1M Fun Run at 8:45; http://www.iowagames.org/Sports/MudRun.aspx
• Saturday, June 21st from 10:00 AM-3:00 PM: Iowa Games/Boone Bash River Dash (Boone); http://www.boonebash.com/
• Saturday, June 21st from 1:00-6:00 PM: Be Amazing! Race (Location TBD); http://www.beamazingrace.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1108300
• Sunday, June 22nd @ 8:00 AM: Copper Creek Sprint Triathlon (Pleasant Hill); 750M Swim, 20K Bike, 5K Run; http://www.coppercreektri.com/
• Sunday, June 22nd @ 10:00 AM: USATF Outdoors Open/Masters Track Meet (ISU Track); (web address not functioning)
• Saturday, June 28th @ 8:00 AM: 3rd Annual Kael Man Race to Make Adoption an Option 5K Run/Walk ( Ada Hayden Park, Ames); http://www.kaelman.org/race-details/
• Saturday, June 28th @ Noon: The Panda Bar Ride involves stops of El Bait Shop – start (200 Southwest 2nd Street) and includes stops at Confluence Brewery, Orlondo’s and Exile Brewery- maybe more!
• Sunday, June 29th @ 7:00 AM: Sturgis Falls Half Marathon & 5K Run/Walk (Cedar Falls); http://www.cedarriverrunnersclub.com/clubhouse/sturgis-falls-5k-12-marathon/
• June 29th to July 29th: Walk / Run / Bike : The Marty (on your own); See above for information
• Friday, July 4th @ 8:00 AM: 5! On The 4th! 5K Run/Walk (Ada Hayden Park, Ames); https://secure.racemonkey.com/Entry/Entry.aspx?IDRace=g2014240211360899414524c17c56241
• Friday, July 4th @ 8:00 AM: Fifth Season 8K & 5K Run/Walk (Cedar Rapids Museum of Art); http://www.fifthseasonrace.com/
• July 11-13, 17-20 & 25-27: Iowa Games!; Multiple venues; Find your sport at http://www.iowagames.org/Sports/SummerGames.aspx
• Saturday, July 12th @ 8:00 AM: Grimes Farm 8+K Run, 5K Run/Walk & 1.6M Fun Run (Marshalltown); Note: Website has not been updated from 2013
• Saturday, July 12th: Midnight Madness! (Downtown Ames); http://www.amesmidnightmadness.com/
7:00 PM Captain’s Kid Run
7:30 PM 5K Run/Walk
8:00 PM 10K Run
15K Run (Combine times of 5K & 10K)
• Saturday, July 19th @ 10:00 AM: Bloomsbury Farm Challenge 3.5K Mud Run (near Atkins, IA); Waves begin every 15 minutes between 10AM – 1PM; http://www.bloomsburyfarm.com/challengerun
• Saturday, July 26th @ 8:00 AM: Bix 7 7M & 2M Runs (Davenport); http://www.bix7.com/2014/
• Saturday, July 26th @ 8:00 AM: Have Heart for Marfan 10K, 5K & 2K (Valley Bank, Pleasant Hill); http://www.heartofiowa.org/heartofiowafundraising.html
• Sunday, July 27th @ 8:00 AM: Swim the Bridge (Saylorville Lake); 500 meter, 1.2M, 2.4M & 3.1M Swim; http://swimthebridge.com/stb/