Your Official Weekly Guide to Ames Running
Visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/amesrunners
Visit Team Vardo at www.teamvardo.com
Ames Runnin’ Stuff This Weekend
Saturday, December 2nd Team Vardo Group Run: Info will be forwarded when it’s available…
Also on Saturday, December 2nd: Sycamore 8 Trail Run (Sycamore Trail, Johnston); Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis (West Des Moines); Info is below…
2018 Leprechaun Chase 10K
From the Organizers
Registration for the 2018 Leprechaun Chase 10K Des Moines opens THIS FRIDAY at 10 am! The race is capped at 1,500 runners and sells out every year, so don’t wait! Plus, register on Friday and you’ll get a sweet Opening Day Offer! See below for details. RSVP for a text or email reminder on Friday here.
We’re tossing in an Opening Day Offer! Register before midnight this Friday and you’ll score a FREE hoody upgrade! That’s right, upgrade your race shirt to a sweet hoody for free (a $20 value)! Your friends will be green with envy…
Sycamore 8 Trail Run
From the Organizers
Sycamore 8 — This hidden gem takes place the first weekend in December and combines single track dirt trail with a hint of paved bike path as you wind down the Sycamore Trail along the Des Moines River. Unpredictable winter weather in Iowa has brought rain, snow, and negative temps but has also brought picturesque 50 degree days and some of the fastest dirt trails in the state.
Since 2012, the Sycamore 8 has been voted runner up for the “Top Cross Country Race” by the readers of Iowa Momentum Magazine. This race caters to veteran and new trail runners alike. With rolling single track, vast views of the Des Moines River and ever present wildlife, you don’t want to miss your chance at a Des Moines tradition of capping off the racing season.
Jingle Bell Run for Arthritis
From the Organizers
Be part of the longest-standing, holiday-themed 5K race series anywhere – and fight with us to conquer arthritis! The Arthritis Foundation’s original Jingle Bell Run is a fun way to get decked out and be festive, while racing to raise funds and awareness to cure America’s #1 cause of disability. Put on your favorite holiday costume. Tie jingle bells to your shoelaces. ’Tis the season to live it up and be jolly for a reason! Bring a team of friends, family and co-workers to run or walk, spread smiles and good cheer … and be a Champion of Yes! 100 percent of your registration fee and fundraising efforts go to this great cause. For more help or information about the 2017 Jingle Bell Run of Des Moines, contact Steve Brill at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 515.278.0636.
2018 (and Final) Dam to Dam Race
From the Organizers
Dam to Dam 39 Forever! June 15, 1980 was a special date in Dam to Dam history – – it was the first DAM race. It was started by Des Moines runners with a desire for a great road race in their home city. June 2, 2018 will again be a special date in Dam to Dam history – – it will be celebrated as “39 Forever.” Yes it will be the last DAM race.
The community of runners, volunteers and race organizers will see the end of a wonderful tradition.
The race started from simple beginnings as 375 made their way from Saylorville Dam to downtown Des Moines. With the addition of the 5 kilometer and youth runs the race now attracts 10,000 participants. During these 39 years Des Moines’ downtown has been transformed into a thriving 5-star city bustling with activities every weekend of the year. Dam to Dam is proud to be a part of this amazing growth and revitalization.
Dam to Dam has always been a humble race but it quickly became known as Iowa’s Distance Classic. Runners from every town and corner of Iowa trekked to the race yearly. Iowa’s best – – veterans and novices alike ran Dam to Dam; a test of will and stamina. The race didn’t disappoint.
The DAM organizers are as humble as the race, always thinking of the runners first! Many of the initial volunteers continue to lead the race today. As the running environment has changed over the years, there has been one constant, Dam to Dam. Never-the-less next June will be the last. The race will end as it started, finishing at the iconic Crusoe Umbrella on Cowles Common. It will be 20 kilometer, just like the first year 1980 with no 5 kilometer or youth run.
There is no doubt that runners will bemoan the end of Dam to Dam. But the race organizers wish everyone will celebrate the last race and rejoice in the many years of Iowa’s Distance Classic. Like year one in 1980 . . . Dam to Dam has done well, bringing a great race to Des Moines. 2018 on-line registration will begin March 14, 2018. Limit to 8000 runners. Race will start at Saylorville Dam and finish at Cowles Common, 20 kilometers.
Final ARS by Waldo
I will post my final ARS on Thursday, December 28th. This date will fall on my retirement date from Iowa DOT. It’s been a great run!
Semi-organized group runs during the next week:
Feel free to shortcut any of these routes if they’re longer than you feel like running!
- Saturday, December 2nd @ ?:00 AM: Info will be forwarded when I receive it…
- Tuesday, December 5th @ 5:30 PM: Team Vardo group runs; Route and length will be determined on-site; Meet at the City Hall Gym south door
- Thursday, December 7th @ 5:30 PM: Variable distance group run; Meet at Ada Hayden Park north lot
Check out www.teamvardo.com for suggested daily workouts.
Ames Area Runnin’, Swimmin’ & Bikin’ Stuff thru December
- Saturday, December 2nd @ 9:00 AM: Sycamore 8 Trail Run (Sycamore Trail on NW 66th, Johnston); http://www.capitalstriders.org/sycamore-8
- Saturday, December 2nd @ 9:00 AM: Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis (6001 Westown Pkwy, West Des Moines); http://www.jbr.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1173372
- Saturday, December 9th @ 8:00 AM: Santa’s Snow Shuffle 5K (Cedar Falls); http://www.communitymainstreet.org/hoopla/events/santas-snow-shuffle-5k-fun-runwalk.aspx
- Sunday, December 31st @ 9:00 AM: Pedaling for Autism on the HTT 12M & 25M (Madrid); http://www.bikeiowa.com/Event/11336/pedaling-for-autism
Coming Up in 2018
- Sunday, January 14th: Triple D Winter Race 50K, Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K (Dubuque)
- Sunday, January 28th: Iowa Games Winter 5K (Dubuque)
- Sunday, January 28th: Icebreaker Indoor Triathlon (WDM YMCA)
- Saturday, February 3rd: Rosy Cheeks 5K (Story City)
- Saturday, February 3rd: BRR Ride (Perry)
- Saturday, February 10th: Red Flannel Run (Des Moines)
- Saturday, March 10th: Leprechaun Chase 10K (Des Moines)
- Saturday, March 17th: O’Round the Loch ½ M, 10K, 5K & 1.7M Runs (Emmetsburg)
- Saturday, April 7th: Loop the Lake 10K (Des Moines)
- Sunday, April 8th: Fight for Air Climb (Des Moines)
- Sunday, April 8th: St. Louis Marathon
- Sunday, April 22nd: Drake Relays Road Race (Drake Stadium)
- Sunday, April 29th: Run CRANDIC Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K (Iowa City)
- Sunday, May 6th: Des Moines Women’s Half Marathon
- Sunday, May 6th: Lincoln Marathon & Half Marathon (Lincoln, NE)
- Saturday, May 13th: Market to Market Relay (Jefferson to Principal Park)
- Thursday, May 31st: KANDANGO Rides (Manhattan, KS)
- Saturday, June 2nd: Final Dam to Dam Race (Saylorville Dam to Cowles Commons)
- Friday, June 8th: Relay Iowa (Sioux City to Dubuque)
- Saturday, June 9th: Pedal Chichaqua Valley Trail (Bondurant)
- Saturday, June 16th: Run to Exile (Des Moines)
- Saturday, June 16th: BACooN Ride 5 (Waukee)
- Saturday, June 16th: Grandma’s Marathon (Duluth)
- Saturday, June 30th: Central Iowa Tour de Cure (Urbandale)
- July 22nd thru July 28th: RAGBRAI
- Saturday, July 28th: Bix 7 Road Race (Davenport)
- Sunday, October 7th: Twin Cities Marathon (Minneapolis)
- Saturday, October 13th: Whistlestop Marathon (Ashland, WI)
- Sunday, October 21st: Des Moines Marathon