Your Official Weekly Guide to Ames Running
Visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/amesrunners
Visit Team Vardo at www.teamvardo.com
Ames Runnin’ Stuff This Weekend
Saturday, August 19th Vardo Group Run: 6, 9 & 20 Mile Group Runs; Natalie of the North is the routemaster; Info is below…
Also on Sunday, August 20th: Bluff Creek Triathlon (Don Williams Park, Ogden); Sunday Funday High Trestle Trail Bike Ride (Whistlin’ Donkey, Woodward); Info is below…
Also on Tuesday, August 22nd: Team Vardo Group Run (Ames City Hall); Cumming Tap Tacopocalypse Tuesday 8M Ride (Orlando’s to Cumming Tap); Info is below…
Saturday Vardo Group Run
From Natalie of the North
Here are the 6, 9 & 20-mile routes for Saturday. Start time is 7 AM at Brookside Park.
20 Miler: www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=592170
All Routes: Take trail under sixth street, past skate park, toward campus; Go south on trail to Y north of Stuart Smith Park; Head east on trail over bridge to south 4th, past DOT to South Grand; Turn right and head south on Grand to pick up trail toward Vet Med; Water will be in a cooler near the trail on the north side of South 16th St; Continue on trail to Airport Road; Follow Airport Road to the west to University; Cross University and head north to Mortensen…
6 Milers: (heading back to Brookside) Continue north on University to 6th Street; Then east on 6th back to Brookside.
9 Milers & 20 Milers: Head West on Mortensen; Water next to porch at house on the NE corner of Ash & Mortensen; Continue on Mortensen to State Street; Head north on State Street…
9 Milers: (heading to the backside of campus & then to Brookside) Continue north on State Street to Lincoln Way; Turn right and jog east a short block to Howard; Head north on Howard to West Street; Turn right and head east on West Street to Sheldon; Turn left and head north on Sheldon to Pammel Dr. (which turns into University); Water fountain inside Lagomarcino Hall on the SE corner of Pammel & Stange; Follow University to 6th street and back to Brookside.
20 milers: After heading south on State Street watch for trail to left to head west; Follow trail west past middle school track, cross over Dodson Drive and continue to Cochrane Parkway; Catch trail off Cochrane past Cochrane Park and over to South Dakota; Cross South Dakota and continue on trail all the way to Daley Park; Water Fountain at Daley Park; Backtrack on trail back to South Dakota; Head North on South/North Dakota to Phoenix St; Head east on Phoenix, short north on Garfield and east on Ross Road; Water Fountain at Emma McCarthy Lee Park. Look for a cooler here as well; Continue on Ross Road to Hyland; Turn left on Hyland to head north to Ontario/13th Street; Turn right to head east on 13th to Stange; Turn left to head north on Stange to Veenker Golf course entrance; Take Veenker entrance to trail across from clubhouse; Take trail into Moore Park, following to right and up to shelter.
Water Fountain at Moore Memorial Park shelter; Find trail to head north at NW corner of pond and head north on trail; Continue on trail next to GWC to Bloomington; Turn right to head east on Bloomington to Hyde (just past water tower); Turn left on Hyde; Water Fountain next to playground in park on Hyde; Continue north on Hyde to Harrison; Turn right on Harrison to head NE to Ada Hayden; Take Ada Hayden trail on West side of lake to the bridge; Cross bridge, then head back south to southern bathrooms; Water fountain at bathrooms. Look for cooler right outside fence on Dawes; Head up Dawes Dr. to Bloomington. Continue on Grand to 30th/Duff; Turn left to head east on 30th/Duff; Follow Duff to Inis Grove Park; Water fountain at Inis Grove; Continue south on Duff to Douglas. Head south on Douglas to 20th; Head west on 20th to the high school; Turn south on Ridgewood and scoot over to west side of tennis courts by HS; Water fountain on west side of tennis courts. (tricky to turn on); Head south on trail from tennis courts toward aquatic center; Head past aquatic center to trail through Brookside; If short a few tenths, circle the park 😉.
Water & gatorade (& maybe treats) at miles 3, 5, 10, 15, & Brookside for 20 milers, at miles 3, 5 & Brookside for the 9 milers, at mile 3 & Brookside for shorter distances. Enjoy!
Walk for Wellness, Race for Recovery
From Sally Carnes
As in past years, we greatly appreciate your help with spreading the word about our event, which is focused on increasing awareness about mental health and substance use disorders for National Recovery Month. We’re keeping registration at $10 again this year, and hope to continue growing the event!
Editor’s note: The Walk for Wellness, Race for Recovery 5K will be held Saturday, September 16th at 9:00 AM at Ada Hayden Park. Community and Family Resources is dedicated to proactively assisting individuals, families, and communities achieve healthy behavior and lifestyle through advocacy, treatment, and prevention of substance abuse, problem gambling, and mental illness. Register at https://secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=127141
Final ARS by Waldo
I will post my final ARS on Thursday, December 28th. This date will mesh pretty close to my probable not yet announced retirement date from Iowa DOT. It’s been a great run! If, by chance, you would like to take over as ARS editor, let me know.
Semi-organized group runs during the next week:
Feel free to shortcut any of these routes if they’re longer than you feel like running!
- Saturday, August 19th @ 7:00 AM: 6, 9 & 20 mile Team Vardo group runs; Natalie of the North is the routemaster; Info is above…
- Tuesday, August 22nd @ 5:30 PM: Team Vardo group runs; Route and length will be determined on-site; Meet at the City Hall Gym south door
- Thursday, August 24th @ 5:30 PM: Variable distance group run; Meet at Ada Hayden Park north lot
Check out www.teamvardo.com for suggested daily workouts.
Ames Area Runnin’, Swimmin’ & Bikin’ Stuff thru September
- Sunday, August 20th @ 8:00 AM: Bluff Creek Triathlon (Don Williams Park, Ogden); Sprint & Olympic distances; http://www.bluffcreektri.com/
- Sunday, August 20th @ 11:00 AM: Sunday Funday High Trestle Trail Bike Ride (Whistlin’ Donkey, Woodward
- Tuesday, August 22nd @ 4:00-11:00 PM: Cumming Tap Tacopocalypse Tuesday 8M Ride (Orlando’s to Cumming Tap); http://www.bikeiowa.com/Event/11536/cumming-tap-tacopocalypse-tuesday
- Friday, August 25th @ 8:00 PM: 5th Annual Lincoln Highway Dash 5K Run, 1M Walk & Kids’ Run (Nevada City Hall), Glow Run; http://www.active.com/nevada-ia/running/distance-running-races/lincoln-highway-dash-2017?int=
- Saturday, August 26th @ 7:30 AM: Huxley Prairie Festival 10K & 5K (Centennial Park, Huxley); https://secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=126351
- Saturday, August 26th @ 7:30 AM: Get Your Rear in Gear 10K & 5K Run/Walk (Raccoon River Park, West Des Moines); Benefits Colon Cancer Foundation of Iowa; http://www.coloncanceriowa.org/get-your-rear-in-gear-2017.html
- Saturday, August 26th @ 8:00 AM: Iowa Heart Foundation 10K Run, 5K Run/Walk, 2M Walk; (Waterworks Park, Des Moines); http://www.iowaheartfoundation.org/upl/downloads/general-content/pdfs/event-information.pdf
- Sunday, August 27th @ 11:00 AM: Sunday Funday High Trestle Trail Bike Ride (Night Hawk, Slater
- Tuesday, August 29th @ 4:00-11:00 PM: Cumming Tap Tacopocalypse Tuesday 8M Ride (Orlando’s to Cumming Tap); http://www.bikeiowa.com/Event/11537/cumming-tap-tacopocalypse-tuesday
- Wednesday, August 30th @ 8:00 AM: Don’t Forget to Wish Waldo a Happy BDay; email@example.com
- Saturday, September 2nd @ 7:30 AM: Madrid Milers’ Labor Day 2, 5 & 15 Mile Runs (Madrid Elementary School); http://www.madridiowa.org/labor_day.htm
- Sunday, September 3rd: Des Moines Escape Triathlon (Gray’s Lake, Des Moines); Olympic @ 7:00 AM; Sprint @ 8:40 AM; http://www.escapeseriestri.com/des-moines-escape/event-information
- Sunday, September 3rd @ 11:00 AM: Sunday Funday High Trestle Trail Bike Ride (Flat Tire, Madrid; Music by Brad Seidenfeld
- Tuesday, September 5th @ 4:00-11:00 PM: Cumming Tap Tacopocalypse Tuesday 8M Ride (Orlando’s to Cumming Tap); http://www.bikeiowa.com/Event/11538/cumming-tap-tacopocalypse-tuesday
- Saturday, September 9th @ 7:00 AM: Pufferbilly Days 10K & 5K Runs (Boone County Family Y); https://secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=126890
- Saturday, September 9th @ 7:30 AM: Park to Park ½ Marathon, 10K & 5K (George Wyth State Park, Waterloo; http://www.trekmanracing.com/park-to-park.html
- Saturday, August 5th @ 7:00-10:00 PM: HTT Full Moon Bike Ride (Slater and Madrid Traiheads); http://www.bikeiowa.com/Event/11245/full-moon-high-trestle-bridge-ride \
- Sunday, September 10th @ 7:00 AM: GAAR (Ada Hayden Park, Ames); 2.7M Canoe/15M Bike/5K Run; http://www.greatamesadventurerace.org/
- Sunday, September 10th @ 11:00 AM: Sunday Funday High Trestle Trail Bike Ride (Whistlin’ Donkey, Woodward
- Tuesday, September 12th @ 4:00-11:00 PM: Cumming Tap Tacopocalypse Tuesday 8M Ride (Orlando’s to Cumming Tap); http://www.bikeiowa.com/Event/11539/cumming-tap-tacopocalypse-tuesday
- Saturday, September 16th @ 7:00 AM: Beaverdale Beaver Dash 5K & 1M (Beaverdale); Benefits SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) research; http://events.curesma.org/site/PageServer?pagename=BEAVERDASH_wnr_Home
- Saturday, September 16th @ 9:00 AM: Walk for Wellness, Race for Recovery 5K Run/Walk (Ada Hayden Park, Ames); https://secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=127141
- Saturday, September 16th @ 9:00 AM: Zero Prostate Cancer 5K Run/Walk (Principal Park, Des Moines); http://support.zerocancer.org/site/TR?fr_id=1330&pg=entry
- Saturday, September 16th: Paws to Cure Cancer 5K Run/Walk (ISU Vet Med); Details will be out later; https://www.facebook.com/Paws2CureCancerISU
- Sunday, September 17th @ 8:00 AM: Capital Pursuit 10M & 5K Runs (15th & Locust, Des Moines); http://www.capitalstriders.org/capital-pursuit
- Sunday, September 17th @ 11:00 AM: Sunday Funday High Trestle Trail Bike Ride (Night Hawk, Slater
- Saturday, September 23rd @ 8:00 AM: Oktemberfest 10K & 5K Runs (Marshalltown); http://www.oktemberfest.com/saturday/5k-10k-walk-run
- Saturday, September 23rd @ 9:00 AM: Gimme S’more Mud Run ( Camp Sacajawea, NW of Boone; https://www.smoremudrun.com/
- Saturday, September 23rd @ 9:30 AM: Wild Boar Challenge (St. Charles, Iowa); http://www.wildboarchallenge.org/
- Sunday, September 24th @ 7:30 AM: Quad Cities Marathon, ½ Marathon, 5K & 1M (John Deere Pavilion, Moline); http://qcmarathon.org/
- Sunday, September 24th @ 10:00 AM: Iowa Remembrance Run 5K (Raccoon River Park, West Des Moines); http://iowaremembrancerun.com/
- Sunday, September 24th @ 11:00 AM: Sunday Funday High Trestle Trail Bike Ride (Flat Tire, Madrid; Music by Nate Nelson
- Sunday, September 30th @ 10:00 AM: NAMI 5K Walk (Terra Park, Johnston); Benefits the National Alliance on Mental Illness; https://www.namiwalks.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.event&eventID=638